When we turned up to interview Josh Nicholls at Platinum Electricians HQ, it felt like we were stepping into a trendy Silicon Valley tech-startup.
It’s full of bright, ultra-modern décor; there’s inspirational slogans on the walls, and a buzz of motivation in the room. It’s a long way from Josh’s days as a young apprentice electrician, facing up to workplace bullying. He now heads up around 300 employees with franchises around Australia, and having a happy and thriving workplace culture is one of his highest values.
In our interview he shares some of the keys to his success - as well as his biggest challenges, how he survived COVID-19, and what’s kept him going strong for close to 20 years.
James and Jess then explore some of Platinum’s marketing strategies – like their 21-Point Customer Experience checklist – and share tips on finding your own USP.
04:07 – Leaving school at 15, Josh’s electrical career got off to a rough start - in an apprenticeship where bullying was common. But the experience had a silver lining.
06:15 – Josh’s first day as a business owner – “I’ll never forget the new car smell”.
08:05 – Growing as a business leader - “I learnt to leverage off others”.
12:35 – The difference between Leadership and Management.
17:17 – To grow a business you need to have humility and hand responsibilities over to others.
19:11 – Josh explains his “wow” principle: wowing his customers with “Crazy Customer Service”
21:53 – Establishing your business’s Culture and Values.
25:46 – For Josh and his wife their “Why” is to be a blessing to others, through a charitable Foundation.
28:30 – “The first million is hardest” – Josh explains why.
30:18 – Josh's toughest times in business, and how he navigated Covid-19.
33:54 – Work life balance – how Josh achieves it.
41:46 – James and Jess discuss how to develop a USP in your business.
BOOKS MENTIONED BY JOSH IN OUR INTERVIEW
- 'The E Myth – Why Most Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It' – by Michael Gerber
- 'Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action' - by Simon Sinek.
- 'Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion and Purpose' – by Tony Hsieh
- More about Platinum Electricians https://www.platinumelectricians.com.au/
- Platinum’s 10 Core Values - https://www.platinumelectricians.com.au/about-us/
- Explore all episodes https://theonlineco.net/getting-to-the-heart-of-business/#podcasts